Saturday, July 9, 2016

"Knowing the Great 'I Am'"

          I am returning from a two-week hiatus from preaching.  As I return from this break, I am continuing our sermon series on the “I Am…” sayings of Jesus, recorded in the Gospel of John.  Although each of these messages are original reflections and writing by the preacher at Christ United Methodist Church, they are also partially informed by the study of the “I Am…” sayings in Rob Fuquay’s study series, The God We Can Know (Nashville:  Upper Room Books, 2014).
            However, before resuming our exploration of the remaining “I Am…” sayings, this Sunday, July 10th, I want to examine the basis for Jesus’ sayings in the Hebrew scriptures (Old Testament).  Jesus’ “I Am…” sayings resonated deeply with his Jewish audience because they reflect back to the story of how God called Moses to the task of liberating the Israelites from slavery in Egypt.  This story is contained in the book of Exodus, chapter 3:
“[God said] ‘Come, I will send you to Pharaoh to bring my people, the Israelites, out of Egypt.’ …But Moses said to God, ‘If I come to the Israelites and say to them, “The God of your ancestors has sent me to you,” and they ask me, “What is his name?” what shall I say to them?’  God said to Moses, I am who I am.’  God said further, ‘Thus you shall say to the Israelites, “I am has sent me to you.”’” (Exodus 3:  10, 13)
            In the ancient world, a person’s name was more than just a label, differentiating one person from another.  Instead, names were vitally important because they told us something about who that person was; what character and values informed who they were as an individual person.  So, what are we to make of God’s self-identification as “I am who I am”?
            We know from astronomers that we live in just a small corner of a vast universe.  For instance, the sun is just one of 1011 stars in our galaxy, the “Milky Way,” and that galaxy is just one of 1011 galaxies in the universe.  Some astronomers calculate that there are probably 1017 planets in the universe which are similar to our Earth.  The universe is a vast, vast place, and we know that, as the Creator, God would be even greater.  The theological term for this is transcendence.  God transcends all of Creation, even though the universe is so vast.
            Yet, at the same time, God is also immanent.  This is another theological term, which means that God is also close to us.  In fact, the Divine seeks us out and wants to be in a loving relationship with us.  After verse 13, where God identifies God’s name as “I Am who I am,” God follows up by providing a history—a resume, so to speak—of God’s relationship with the Israelites, “‘Thus you [Moses] shall say to the Israelites, “The Lord, the God of your ancestors, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.’” (Exodus 3:  15a)  As Rob Fuquay writes in his book, “God wants to be recognized.  …God is not hiding. God doesn’t avoid us.  God wants to be known.  That’s the story of the Bible.”[i]
            God seeks us out and invites each of us to enter into a Divine relationship, in which we know and love God.  This is what happens in Exodus 3.  God seeks out and invites Moses to enter into this knowing, loving relationship.  As Moses discovers, this relationship is one of vocation; that is, it is a relationship of partnership with God.
            God begins by explaining, “I have observed the misery of my people [the Israelites] who are in Egypt; I have heard their cry on account of their taskmasters.  Indeed, I know their sufferings, and I have come down to deliver them from the Egyptians, and to bring them up out of that land to a good and broad land, a land flowing with milk and honey.…” (Exodus 3:  7-8b).  God has seen; God has heard; and God knows the sufferings of Moses’ people—the Israelites.  God is moved by the suffering and will deliver the Israelites from the Egyptians, giving them new freedom in a rich and bountiful land.
            At this point, Moses must have felt exhilarated, hearing that God was planning for a revolution in Egypt which would free the Israelites from captivity and slavery.  But, then comes a great reversal.  God says to Moses, “So come, I will send you to Pharaoh to bring my people, the Israelites, out of Egypt” (v. 10).  God is planning a revolution, but Moses is invited to be the chief revolutionary, the leader of this revolt, with all of the risks associated with being a revolutionary.  God invites Moses into a specialized vocation—that is, into a partnership—to lead the people of Israel out of slavery and into their own Promised Land.
            Moses is cautious.  He knows the risks associated with leading a revolt in Egypt and he makes excuses, trying to get out of this assignment.  Yet, with each excuse that Moses makes, God’s responds by simply re-assuring that God will be there, guiding, strengthening, and sustaining Moses through all of the trials and tribulations, until ultimately the Israelites are released from their bondage.  God will be there.
            Despite Moses’ fear, objections, and excuses, ultimately there is only one option for Moses:  to accept God’s call to this partnership.  And so, Moses finally accepts his vocation to become the revolutionary leader of the Israelites. 
            Now, the key to understanding the true meaning of Exodus 3 is to see that while Moses’ call by God was exceptional, the fact that God called Moses to a special vocation was not exceptional at all.  Indeed, God seeks out each of us, inviting us to enter into a divine relationship, which forms the grounding for our own vocation, our own call to partnership with God.  Each of us is called by God to a special vocation, and our only faithful response is to accept God’s call, knowing that, regardless of how difficult the task, God will be there to guide, sustain, and protect us.
In reflecting on the concept of God’s call within the context of Exodus 3, Walter Brueggemann, the eminent biblical scholar writes:
“In our time, the notion of [God’s] call has often been trivialized, institutionalized, and rendered innocuous as bland calls to ‘obedience’ and to ‘ministry.’  Moses, however, knows better than this.  A right sense of call (and its dangers) derives from a right sense of Yahweh’s [God’s] intention.  And when the call of Yahweh is made safe through trivialization (which Moses refuses to do), it is because Yahweh’s intention has already been distorted and domesticated.”[ii]
Come, join us this Sunday, July 10th, at Christ United Methodist Church, as we examine who God is and how God seeks to be in a loving, Divine relationship with us, defined by partnership.  Christ United Methodist Church is located at 4530 A Street in Lincoln, Nebraska.  Our classic worship services are at 8:30 and 11:00 on Sunday mornings.  This week, I will continue to offer my short-term study of these “I Am…” sayings, between the two worship services at 9:45.  We will use Rob Fuquay’s The God We Can Know as our resource.
Everyone is welcome and accepted because God loves us all.
Schedule of Upcoming “I am…” sayings sermons
July 17th – “I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life”
July 24th – “I am the Resurrection and the Life” (8:30 service only)
July 31st –“I am the True Vine” (Pastor Bob Neben preaching)



[i] Rob Fuquay, The God We Can Know, Exploring the “I Am” Sayings of Jesus (Nashville:  Upper Room Books, 2014), 13.
[ii] Walter Brueggemann “Commentary on Exodus” in Leander E. Keck, ed., The New Interpreter’s Bible Vol. I (Nashville:  Abingdon Press, 1996), CD-ROM.

No comments:

Post a Comment