Friday, January 25, 2013

"How Can I Believe When the Church Lets Me Down?"

               My sermon on doubt this coming Sunday, January 27th, is really different from the past several sermons.  My topic is:  “How Can I Believe When the Church Lets Me Down?”  We will be exploring situations that arise when a person’s faith is undermined by the failure of the Church, or individual Christians within a congregation.  Usually this failure occurs when clergy or devout church-goers behave in ways that are inconsistent with the teachings of Christ and the life of discipleship.  In other words, doubt can arise when persons perceive hypocrisy in the attitudes and actions of Christians.

         When I first began preparing for Sunday, I imagined myself speaking to someone who struggles with the faith because of the hypocrisy they perceive in the Church and among Christians. However, as I continued to reflect, it occurred to me that there will be a second audience for this sermon: all of us in the church, whose actions and attitudes erect barriers that prevent others from faith and the knowledge of God’s love for them. What are we in the church to do when, despite our best efforts, we actually become obstacles separating others from God?

            My sermon will be grounded in a passage from the Gospel of John, 7:53-8:11, which is the story of “Jesus and the Woman Caught in Adultery.”  I think that this scripture will be very instructive, in terms of seeing how Jesus confronts religious hypocrisy.

               In preparing for the message on Sunday, I have been impressed by some observations made by David Kinnaman and Gabe Lyons in their book, unChristian[1], based upon opinion surveys which they conducted.  Kinnaman and Lyons asked adult Christians to identify the most important priorities for living a Christian life.  The most popular response to this question, with 35%, was “Lifestyle—doing the right thing, being good, not sinning.”  Ironically, Kinnaman and Lyons observe that in another survey, which they conducted among non-Christians, only 15% of these respondents indicated that they could see a lifestyle difference between their Christian friends and others.

            Kinnaman and Lyons conclude by observing that Christians “…lives are a poor advertisement for these standards.  We  [Christians] have set the game board to register lifestyle points; then we are surprised to be trapped by our own mistakes.  The truth is [Christians]  have invited the hypocrite image.”

            I think that Kinnaman and Lyons are on to something.  Although Christians should try to pattern their lives in such a way that others see Christ reflected in their actions and attitudes, the truth is that we remain finite, sinful human beings.  We make mistakes; we have the wrong attitude; we forget to love; and, yes, we act like hypocrites.  However, as the old saying goes, “Christians aren’t perfect, just forgiven.”  For me, the most important thing about being a Christian is not lifestyle.  Rather, it is knowing that God loves me, even though I am a sinner and I can be quite the pompous hypocrite at times.  I am a Christian because this love enables me to flourish and be happier than I could ever be on my own.  But, in response to God’s love for me, I love God and my neighbor and God’s Creation.  Hopefully, my response of love to God results in a lifestyle that is ethical and without too much hypocrisy.

           This sermon is the fourth in a series, called:  “Confronting Our Doubts.”  For a complete listing of the series, see my first post below.  Through confronting issues that raise doubts, I believe that we can gain deeper understanding and a stronger faith.  I hope that this sermon will stimulate deeper reflection and understanding.

Feel free to post your comments on this blog.  If you live in the Meriden-area and do not have a regular church home, please consider attending Meriden United Methodist Church this Sunday.  Meriden UMC is located at the corner of Dawson and Main.  Our worship service starts on Sundays at 10 am.  Everyone is welcome and accepted because God loves us all.

 



[1] David Kinnaman and Gabe Lyons, unChristian (Grand Rapids, MI:  Baker Books, 2007), Chapter 3-“Hypocritical.”

No comments:

Post a Comment