Thursday, January 3, 2013

Is It OK to Doubt?


What is it about religious doubt that frightens Christians so much? Many of us never really confront our religious doubts.  We just put them out of our minds, with promises that one day we will come back to this doubt or question and really confront it.  But, year after year, we never come back to our doubts and they just sit there in the back of our minds, lurking in the shadows.  Perhaps we are afraid that confronting our doubts will lead to a loss of faith and our world will be turned upside down, without any structure or reassurances.

My personal experience with doubt has been diametrically opposed to this fear.  I have discovered that honestly examining and exploring my religious doubts has led me to a deeper, broader Christian faith.  For me, confronting my doubts has led to spiritual growth and renewal.  And, I believe that my experience is not unique.

My sermon on Sunday, January 6th will be based on the Gospel of John 20: 19-29.  This passage of scripture tells the story of the disciple, Thomas.  When the resurrected Christ first appeared to his followers in the Upper Room, Thomas was not present.  Later, when the other disciples told Thomas about the appearance of the resurrected Christ, Thomas doubted.  We could say that Thomas became famous for his doubt because he is frequently referred to as “doubting Thomas.”  Yet, when Jesus appeared again and addressed his doubts, Thomas believed.

My sermon will be somewhat autobiographical this week.  I’ll talk about some of my own doubts and how I have grown in my faith because I have confronted and struggled with these doubts.  So, the answer to this week’s question, “Is it ok to doubt?” is “yes”. 

I hope that you will free to comment on this blog.  Perhaps you’ll consider sharing some of the doubts which you struggle with, in your own faith journey.  If you live in the Meriden-area and do not have a regular church home, I hope that you’ll come to Meriden UMC this Sunday and hear about my struggles with doubt.  Meriden UMC is located at the corner of Dawson and Main.  Our worship service starts on Sundays at 10 am.  Everyone is welcome because God loves us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment